Us

Us

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Turkey Phase 1


Have you ever felt braver when you are alone? I sometimes do.. not obviously in actually dangerous situations but just day to day things that seem more possible if I don't have anyone to fall back on. This morning I had one of those moments. I did not know that preparing a turkey is not for the faint of heart. YIKES! I got up at 7 (and Ian is still sleeping) to put the turkey in the oven.. my first (maybe my last haha depending on how it turns out!). I had set an alarm but didn't even need it I was so excited I woke up 5 minutes before I was supposed to. It feels like Christmas here but it's not but just to know it's a holiday is exciting enough!

So... brave me I put the turkey into the sink and rip off the wrapping... and what is THAT! haha all the giblets and neck and stuff I knew they were in there and I knew I would be getting them out but yuck. If Ian hadn't of been sleeping I would have been out of there so fast haha... So being super brave I grab the tongs and fish them out cause I am not getting my hands all up in there... who knows if I will get them back. And the website told me to rinse and wipe out the cavity. haha. I rinsed it but hopefully nothing bad will come of not wiping it out. It looked clean enough and no water was running out anymore. I am all for meat. I eat meat pretty much everyday but I am spoiled. The meat I eat doesn't actually look like an animal. And although a cooked turkey looks like an animal, a raw turkey looks more like an animal. With a raw gaping hole where all it's insides used to be, and the legs that just kept flapping about. I thought I was going to rip one off:

And what are those? It's ribs? Ok so I know this all sounds ridiculous, I am 26 after all. Have seen my mom at least deal with the turkey after it comes out of the oven haha I realized that I don't think I ever saw her prepare it. So after handling it ever so gently so as not to get my hand up in somewhere I didn't want my hand, (that 15 pound turkey was awkward when it was all wet and limbs flailing about!) I think I did a pretty good job of preparing it!

Now some other problems... We didn't have a roaster so we got one of those disposable aluminum ones and then I realized it said you had to support the bottom when you take it out of the oven and so I put a cookie sheet underneath ha! We will see.. now I just pray none of us gets injured taking it out of the oven. And isn't it always the case that you run out of something just when you need it most... like foil. I had to take the foil off my pie to have enough for this whole thing because I just didn't feel like heading out to Safeway at 7am and it wouldn't of even been open.

Well.. I guess I will keep you posted as to how it turns out. My tummy is growling now so I should probably eat some breakfast.

With love.

3 comments:

  1. Blog slumber indeed! This post kinda made my day haha! Good luck with that turkey, I'm sure it will be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a very good start! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys! I will post the results soon :)

    ReplyDelete